Thursday, March 7, 2013

Clematis tutorial #2

 
Finally I managed to find some sparetime for making the next part of the tutorial as promised.


At first I painted a white cotton thread with green acryl paint and let it dry. This is for stalks glued on most of the leaves.

I used the punch above for leaves. I think its called "Ash leave puncher". I used a dark green paper, same weight as photo copypaper. Since the color was a bit boring I painted with a diluted green acrylic paint. If you use white paper, you´ll have to paint each leave seperately to avoid white edges. That´s  why I chose a green paper, then I can paint the hole sheet before punching.


And now for shaping the leaves. A very important part of how the finished plant will turn out. I use the back side of my scalpel knife to "draw" a line along with the leave. I cut some leaves og and made different looking leaves. Remember also to turn half of the leaves around to get variation.


After shaping with the scalpel I use my fingers to pinch the leaves in a more natural shape. Here you can see some glued onto the painted thread and some I just glued to the brown base stalk without thread stalk. On the first picture you can see how I glue the leaves on the base stalk. Sorry it´s a bit dark, but I didn´t have a picture taking in daylight. When the leaves has dried glue the flowers on. Be careful to cover the stalk ends where they are glued to the base stalk.

I´ll take some pictures tomorrow in daylight and show you the finished clematis. For now this forst attempt on making clematis has all open flowers. I would like to make some half open and closed flowers to add. Just have to think of how to do... Any adwise?

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial, Annie, the flowers are great! For half-opened flowers, I think you could bend the open flower together. For not yet opened flowers you could maybe use the "drop"-punch, make a kind of tube with them, and leave the spikes a little open bending outwards, if you can follow me?
    Love, Susanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..or maybe use the original punch and simply "pack" the flower together?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantástico tutorial. Seguí el anterior y ahora este. Me gusta mucho como queda, habrá que probarlo. Besos y gracias

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this excellent tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Clematis is Gorgeous Annie!!! Thank you for the tutorial! It is so helpful for beginners to see the steps and the equipment you use!!! I hope to make some Eventually for my Folly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Annie! Your Clematis is sooo pretty and you've done such a Very impressive job! I can see that the way that you have made each set of the leaves to attach onto the painted sewing thread, gives it a delicate and lacy appearance and beauty. I think that using the thread was also a very clever way of getting the vine to conform to the shape of the conservatory and it is Perfectly done. LOVE IT. You have a beautiful finished product and the step-by- step is very informative. Thanks for sharing this, I have already put it onto my Pinterest!!!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Annie, THNX for the great tutorial! Going to use it on my patio project! Wishing you a great weekend. Hug AM

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't gone down the "flower route" yet so this tutorial is very useful. Thanks for taking the time to show us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Annie, Very nice result for your clematis.. I do like the draping of the string on the conservatory. Thank you for sharing it is very helpful to be aware of different techniques to tuck,away,in,our ideas file.
    Regards Janine

    ReplyDelete